Main Participants: LEI Xiaohui, WANG Chao, KANG Aiqing, LIAO Weihong, WANG Jianhua, ZHANG Yunhui, JIANG Yunzhong, HUANG Haocheng, FENG Wenwen, LIU Yu, CHEN Yang, DING Xingchen, LIANG Yongshuai, XU Ke, ZHANG Xuelian
Urban water problem is a great challenge for both China and other countries, and to solve this problem becomes a major necessity of China for building an urban water security guarantee system and for achieving sustainable economic and social development. Water problems in Fuzhou are becoming severe amidst global climate change and urbanization and hindering the city's public security and sustainable development. In Fuzhou, water problems are influenced by complex factors, and scientific dispatching of water systems, as an important non-engineering solution, still faces multiple difficulties such as the prediction of river and lake levels and flooding and waterlogging process, joint dispatching of water projects as well as cross-secotral coordination. Regarding these scientific issues, a comprehensive study has been conducted that has brought about a series of breakthroughs from technological innovation to practical application in real-time forecasting and dispatching.
· Mechanism- and data-driven techniques for real-time prediction of river and lake levels;
· Technology for intelligent identification and fast probabilistic prediction of urban flooding and waterlogging;
· A model system for coordinated multi-level dispatching of urban water project clusters;
· A decision support platform for integrated and coordinated management of urban water systems;
· An urban hydrological model has been established which takes into account urban runoff generation and confluence and regulation of water projects clusters; a mechanism- and data-driven technology for real-time prediction of river and lake levels has been independently developed, which improves the prediction accuracy and calculation efficiency of river and lake levels, and reduces the average error of three-hour forecast to 5cm.
· The efficiency of real-time forecasting and warning of urban flooding and waterlogging has been remarkably improved by intelligently identifying flooding and waterlogging through computer vision and 3D point cloud reconstruction, and by using technologies such as heterogeneous asynchronous high-performance computing and efficient data storage structure design.
· A model system for multi-level joint dispatching of urban water projects clusters has been independently developed, forming an efficient coordinated dispatching model system featuring standardized dispatching, optimal decision making and real-time control. A standardized dispatching technology has been proposed for flood control and drainage as well as excessive and fluctuate water, securing the orderly coordinated dispatching of water project clusters under conventional scenarios.
· A decision support platform has been established for integrated and coordinated management of urban water systems, which integrates a real-time total-factor monitoring system of urban water systems, a water system forecasting and dispatching model base and a command and control system featuring efficient linkage among “people, vehicles, materials and engineering”, resulting in far more timely emergency dispatching and resolution of water problems.
The research results have been put into operation in the Coordiated Drainage and Dispatching Center in Fuzhou City since 2018. So far, the platform has contributed to the constitution of over 200 flood control and waterlogging drainage plans to prevent serious waterlogging in city areas. With the support of this platform, 44 black and odorous water bodies have been cleaned up and 107 rivers have maintained an acceptable water quality for three consecutive years. Through tide diversion and optimal dispatching, the platform helped to save electricity charges of more than 20 million RMB each year. In April 2021, the “coordinated drainage and dispatching” model of urban water systems was included in the Implementation Opinions of the General Office of the State Council on Strengthening Urban Waterlogging Control for nationwide roll-out. Underpinned by the research results, the intelligent dispatching of water systems in Fuzhou City, won the Energy & Environment Award of 2021 China Smart City Awards.
Fig.1 Real-time Prediction Model of River and Lake Levels in Fuzhou
Fig.2 Decouple of optimal dispatching based on three dimention analysis (space-time—overall situation—integration) of water conservancy clusters in cities
Fig.3 Scientific Dispatching System of Urban Water Systems in Fuzhou City
Fig.4 Seamless Connection of Service-Model-Data for Urban Water System Dispatching